Taylored Web Sites, LLC.
Dave Taylor, Sole Proprietor.
What am I looking for?
I am looking for full time employment, but would also be interested in contract work or quoted websites. I would prefer to work for a company in the Philadelphia area, however, I would consider working beyond that if I could work from home for a substantial amount of time, or the compensation was worth it.
Who am I?
I am a seasoned web developer (developing websites since 1998, and programming since 1978) who values producing quality work. After many years developing and maintaining my own or other's websites, I have found the folowing things are important website excellence:
- Having clear and concise requirements after working with all stakeholders (so it does the right things).
- Having tests automated as much as possible, and to cover as much code as is reasonable (to ensure the website does the right things). Tests should align with User and System Documentation, as well as align with completed requirements and solved issues.
- Having a working list of outstanding issues and requirements that is easily found by all stakeholders and developers (to continue doing the right things).
- If there is more than one developer, having the developers work as a team when solving problems (including others in choices and decisions while developing), and do careful code reviews to ensure the code meets standards and is understandable and well documented.
- Having comprehensive installation procedures for development and production that are easily found and kept up to date as part of system documentation.
What have I been doing lately?
I am currently an employee of The 21'st Partnership for STEM Education as the sole web developer maintaining and enhancing the PARLO Tracker Assessment Management web software. In addition to this, I have been responsible for all aspects of keeping the Tracker website running in production on the internet, including deployment procedures, Linux administration, and issues resolution. I have also been developing and supporting some WordPress websites (21pstem.org and cogscied.org) for 21pstem. I have done some R programming on statewide datasets, and other data support for our researchers. I am currently working at half time (due to lack of grant funding), and am looking to work for a company that could provide regular fulltime pay.
Additionally, I have been recently doing some 1099 consulting work under Taylored Web Sites, LLC, doing various small website development and support, including some Ruby on Rails, Wordpress and HTML websites.
What are my skills?
As you may have gathered, I have many web developer and general programming skills. Throughout my career I have kept on a technical track, but have been a team leader when appropriate. You may note that I have an MBA (Masters of Business Administration), which I took to better run my own consulting practice, and to better understand the businesses that I would be consulting with.
What are my interests?
Technically, I have been focusing on Ruby on Rails lately, but am open to other tool sets. I am especially interested in functional programming in its future value in parallel processing and large datasets. To that end I took a Functional Programming Principles in Scala at Coursera and got a 94 out of 100 Coursera Certificate(I would have gotten 100, but once I passed the last assignment, I could not improve its grade). From that I found that if Scala opportunities were presented to me I would be interested, however, I would need help on getting used to the Scala Type system. Lately, I have been hearing a lot about Python, and would probably love working in that language. I would love to work on an open source project that improves the world.
Personally, I like going for walks. I love eating good food and having fun with my wife and friends. I enjoy giving massages to my family and friends (I am a trained Massage Therapist with expired certification).